Yorke Peninsula, South Australia.

Australia’s only leg!

Named by Capt Mathew Flinders on March 30th, 1802 during his exploration and mapping of the southern Australian Coastline. Named on behalf of the Right Honourable Charles Philip Yorke, of the British Admiralty.

Captain Flinders described the Peninsula as being 'Like an ill-shaped leg'. A week later while sailing away from the area Flinders came across the French navigator, Captain Nicolas Baudin, who was also exploring the southern coast but traveling in a different direction. Which is just as well, otherwise Yorke Peninsula would have been given a different name - Cambaceres Peninsula!

The Peninsula’s total land area is about 4,800 square kilometres, and apart from the southern Hummocks Range protruding into the northern part of the Peninsula, and the high ground along the 'backbone' of the Peninsula, (where the center road runs), the land is comparatively flat with low undulating hills, some of which where the town of Warooka is located have been dated (by some) back tens of millions of years.

The entire Peninsula has no permanent running streams, although in extra-wet winters the swamp-like shallow streams between Weavers Lagoon and lake Sunday near Yorketown do flow slowly. The short, steep gullies between Pine Point and Port Clinton along the east coast flow after a heavy downpour. Yorketown is surrounded by an estimated 206 salt lakes of varying sizes with Lake Fowler being the largest.