The town hall clock tower, Perth, Western Australia The Town Hall Clock Tower was built in 1868. It is 38.1 metres high, and the face of the clock has a diameter of just over two metres. The clock itself was built by Thwaites and Reed of London. It was originally manually wound, but in 1956 electric motors were added to do the winding. Which is a good thing because it required climbing a 67 step ladder to do the manual winding.
The clock has been maintained since 1932 by the Ennis family. Aside from major costs this was all done as a public service! Three generations of this family, which also operates Ennis Jewellers, have been involved in this work.
The bells were also built in 1868 by Mears and Stairbank, of Whitechapel, London. There are three bells. An hour bell at 305 kg, and two quarter hour bells at 203 kgs each. April 2014.
More info can be found at the Heritage Perth website.
Copyright © Willem Schultink