Built in Leith, Scotland for the Port Jackson and Manly Steamship Company, the South Steyne was launched on April 1st, 1938 and on July 7th 1938, it steamed the 22,000 kilometres to Australia arriving on September 19th the same year.
It is the most famous of the Manly ferries. It crossed between Circular Quay and Manly over 100,000 times over its 36 years, carrying well in excess of 92 million passengers.
Copyright © Koole Imaging
Info sourced from South Steyne