An End To Isolation
Work began on the Great Northern Railway in 1878 to link Port Augusta with Darwin and open-up central Australia. The southern section of the line reached Alice Springs in 1929.
The train running this line became known as "The Ghan", named after the Afghan camel drivers who had contributed to the development of communication and transport links in inland Australia.
After the Old Ghan ceased running, it was replaced by the "Legendary Ghan" in 1980, and now travels to Alice Springs on a standard gauge railway line from Adelaide via Tarcoola, west of the old track. It can be seen from the Old Ghan Heritage Railway complex as it speeds into Alice Springs. The final link to Darwin was completed in 2001.
More info on Old Ghan Railway at Road Transport Hall of Fame