The Terang lake, with the old Catholic church and presbytery, western Victoria, Australia

The Terang lake, with the old Catholic church and presbytery, western Victoria, Australia
The Terang lake, with the old Catholic church and presbytery, western Victoria, Australia. The Terang Lake was used as a sheep wash by the early settlers. When it was full it was a substantial lake with a maximum depth of 21 feet (7 metres), with lots of birds and fish. Fishing and boating were common. But by the 1930s the lake had dried up completely and in 1933 the peat lake bed caught fire and burned for weeks.

The lake is now drained with parts being used by the pony club, the cricket oval, the golf club, the croquet club and the bowling greens. Part is also leased to a farmer for grazing, as can be seen from the picture. On the far side you can see the old Catholic church that was built in 1900 and the presbytery which was built in 1910. These are now private residences. July 2013.

Copyright © Willem Schultink