Copyright © John Bargebos
The original, eastern, bridge was built in 1959, and was at the time the largest pre-stressed concrete bridge in the world. It was constructed to connect the fledgling Kwinana Freeway to the city of Perth. Since then the freeway has been greatly extended, and the Mitchell Freeway built on the northern side of the Swan River. Increasing traffic meant that another bridge was built to the west of the original bridge in 2001. In 2005 a railway bridge was built between the two road bridges. This was opened for trains to Mandurah in 2007.
The original bridge can be seen on the right of the picture.